Monday, March 12, 2007

Am I really that selfish?

I was just reading something someone else wrote and it really got me thinking about things. I think it is so selfish how we complain about not having. I will admit...I have LOTS of wants. I want so many different things. I am very blessed to have what I do have, and some times I think we take it all for granted. This is something I am really praying about. I am not saying it is bad to want things. Not at all. We all want things. But dwelling on them is totally different. I want a ipod, I want dogs, I want lots of things. Am I happy with out them. That is the question we need to ask ourselves. Are we satisfied with what God has blessed us with. I have been blessed with lots. I have an amazing wife, healthy baby girl, great family. I can go on and on. I have so much but i feel like maybe I dont give back enough. I struggle with this and have been for a long time now. Then i just read these quotes by Mother Teresa. I wish I had her attitude.
Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.

Everytime you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.

We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But
the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.

Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you
without leaving happier.

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may
live as you wish.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.

When a poor person dies of hunger, it has not happened because God did not take care of him or her.
It has happened because neither you nor I wanted to give that person what he or she needed.

I want to live like that. Be like that. I can do with out a lot more. But to actually live my life like that is a lot harder then it sounds. I feel like I am a pretty simple person. I need to get over the "I'm poor" attitude and realize how great i have it and how blessed I truly am. Does that mean i no longer want the ipod...ect.? Not at all, i still want it, but i need to learn how to be content, and give more to others, not just money but myself. Something more for me to pray and seek God on.
~Learning as I go~
One-T

No comments: