Wednesday, February 10, 2010

We all get tired.

Even the strongest minded people have their moments. Thats why there is a God like ours. To often we get the mindset that we can do it all on our own. I cant do anything on my own, I just pretend like I can. I was talking to a friend yesterday, and this person just got a great new job, that she is perfect for. She spent the last 20 some years raising her kids and running a home. And now she decided that it is time for her to get back in the career world. One of her kids is making some of the dumbest decisions. Going against everything she was brought up to believe and everything she was taught. She is older and out of the house so what can a parent do? My friend made the comment with tears in her eyes, (and this is a STRONG woman, doesn't cry very easy)
"I spent the last 20 years raising my kids for what? I could have been pursing my career, but i stayed home for what?"
How do you answer a question like that? Sometimes I think as pastors we don't always have to have the right answers. We just have to be there to listen and let people ask and seek for themselves. She has a few other children at home still, and they are seeing what the oldest sibling is doing in the lives of the family. This lady is a good mom. No, she is a great mom. She did what she knew to do. The rest we have to give to God. Which is SO hard to do with your kids. Mine are only 3, 1 and in the mama's belly, but I know this first hand. It is hard not to want to try to control it all.
I wish people didn't have to feel this helpless. Watching someone you hold very close to you fall away from the family is hard to do. I cant imagine being in her shoes right now. I told her I would be praying for her and her family. Didn't really know what else to say. And I am not going to talk for the sake of talking. To many people do more damage then good when they do that. I heard today something that I really liked. It said, "One job of a pastor is to ASK the questions, not just answer them. That way people think."
I liked that....

~Learning as I Go~
One-T

No comments: